by FORD IN THE NEWS on NOVEMBER 21, 2013
Even though the 2014 Ford F-150 is the best-selling vehicle in America, Blue Oval engineers remain committed to offering truck buyers more benefits on a regular basis. The latest example comes to market from the Show-me State, which has now begun building 2014 Ford F-150 models that are capable of running on compressed natural gas or liquefied petroleum gas. It’s another first for Ford, which is now the only manufacturer with an available gaseous-fuel prep package for its half-ton pickups.
The system is a $315 option on the 2014 Ford F-150 with its 3.7-liter V-6 engine, with upfitting from a Ford Qualified Vehicle Modifier, running approximately $6,000 to $9,000. But that price of admission delivers a range of up to 750 miles, the ability to run on an affordable and clean-burning fuel, and in a growing number of states, access to a range of tax incentives and rebates. At the same time, Ford is providing a growing number of CNG-capable vehicles.
By the end of next summer, customers will be able to choose a CNG package for:
- Transit Connect (van and wagon)
- Transit (van, wagon, cutaway and chassis cab)
- E-Series (van, wagon, cutaway and stripped chassis)
- F-series Super Duty (F-350 pickup and chassis cab, F-450 chassis cab and F-550 chassis cab)
- F-650 medium-duty truck
- F53 and F59 stripped chassis
- F-150 light-duty pickup
This is good news for folks like Jerome Webber, vice president of global fleet operations for AT&T. According to Webber: “We’re almost halfway to our company-wide goal of deploying 15,000 alternative-fuel vehicles by the end of 2018. Vehicles such as CNG F-350s from Ford have helped us avoid purchasing 7.7 million gallons of gasoline over the past five years while reducing our fleet’s emissions.”
Written by Charles Krome.
Photo courtesy of Ford Motor Co.
More from Ford in the News
- Blue Oval Marks 400,000 EcoBoosted Pickups with 2014 Ford F-150
- 2014 Ford F-150 Contributes to New Wave of Blue Oval Marine Engines
- Ford F-150 Becomes First Full-size Pickup to Run on CNG
- 2013 Ford C-Max, 2014 Ford Transit Connect Join Blue Oval Taxi Team
- Ford Transit Connect Taxis Hit Chicago Streets